The Top 10 Chicago Mixtapes Of 2012 (So Far)

| July 4, 2012 | 55 Comments

2012 has been a great year for Chicago hip-hop — a renaissance if you will. And we’re only halfway through the calendar. With the first half behind us, we thought it was only right to give you our list of the Top 10 Chicago Mixtapes of 2012 (So Far). A whole slew of solid efforts have impacted in 2012, but we wanted to highlight a handful of our very favorites.

Disclaimer: This list does not include compilation mixtapes, label mixtapes, DJ mixtapes or projects that were pieced together with loosies. These are single artist or group mixtapes only. Click through below for our 2012 favorites.

[Click Below For Next Page]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

1. Yo says:

No LEP…..LOL

2. PedroGnlz says:

I also made a list of the best Chicago ‘Tapes of 2012 (So Far). It’s is not as well-written as this one (props to the whole FSD Staff), nevertheless I still think people will enjoy reading. We also differ on a couple of ‘tapes, but I agree all of the ones you posted deserve recognition.

It would be awesome if you could check out my list and give some feedback on my selections!

• Young Gun says:

your list is even more bullshit than this one!! lol

• PedroGnlz says:

In my opinion those were the best ‘tapes. You obviously differ and I respect that, but just insulting the work that I put in doing the list, instead of trying to start a discussion with valid points makes me dismiss your opinion.

3. JackAct says:

this cool but where Calez – Kid With Raps…. Noelz – The Popular Kid…. Kembe X & Alex Wiley – Borrow A Dollar….

4. ChicagoFresh says:

At the end of July I’m going to be something to watch for. The Gossip Structure Presents: ChicagoFresh drops late July. click my name

5. DAVE says:

whoever wrote this shit should be shot

6. djg says:

No way Tris World beats 10day.

7. trapeze says:

by drill music you mean trap music. No need to reinvent the wheel, specially F U didnt invent it.

8. my humble opinion says:

I feel like Chance’s #10Day Needs to be higher…..but I don’t know where. Sunday School tops my list tho. Maybe Calez n the lil homies shouldn’t have made a “fuck fakeshore” track

9. merk says:

havent heard all those tapes but its good to se Clark Airlines make the list.. he deserves it

10. oldman says:

GLC x Blended Babies Cathedral is # 1 tape of all time

11. UZOMA says:

clark airlines mr wat the fuck i dont do!!!

12. DopeDop says:

NO SHYE?? #FollowMyLead #LavishDreams&Addictions

13. MAFIA says:

WOW NO BODEAL OR COSTILL

14. Dreezy says:

S/O to J.Clark! He been working hard. I’m glad he getting recognized.

15. Pathetic says:

This top 10 is a disgrace to the real Chicago talent. Add-2′s Save.Our.Souls is by far the best tape from Chicago in years! Pathetic list!

• TREATEDCULT says:

hmmmm, you may have a point about the ADD-2 project….10DAY is definitely higher and Mic Terror’s Riverdale the Musical maybe should have made the list too, but its a dope list still

16. [Street Album] @SUAVEDALYRICIST – Reacquainted :: http://bit.ly/MIYWM8 on @CantGoRilla

17. [Street Album] @SUAVEDALYRICIST – Reacquainted :: http://bit.ly/MIYWM8 on @CantGoRilla should be on this list. Y’all check it out and let me know

18. James says:

10 Day only #5 is a joke.

19. Young Gun says:

Rockie Fresh at number 6?

With diddy and Ross both trying to get at him there is no way he’s only number 6! This list is only a matter of your opinion!

20. GIMME says:

I RESPECT MOST OF THE ARTISTS BUT MAN NONE OF THESE CATS CAN FUCK WITH FREELOADERS ENT. MIXTAPE COMING AFTER YOU DROP YOUR WACK ASS MIXTAPE…
    ALSO…..THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE THESE LIST CANT EVEN FUCKING RAP…..
    THAT LIKE ME JUDGING YOUR JOUNALISM AND I DONT EVEN HAVE A DEGREE IN LIT. OR MORELESS WRITE..
    I AGREE THIS LIST IS A MATTER OF UNPROFESSIONAL OPINION,POPULARITY.
    GET ACTUAL RAPPERS THAT CAN RAP TO MAKE THESE LISTS
    OR EVEN BETTER LET US THE CHICAGO HIP HOP COMMUNITY TELL YOU WHAT WE THINK IS HOT
    NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND,YOUR WELCOME HOESACKS

21. Aarroonn says:

Half the links to the tapes aren’t active anymore.

22. Wordmann says:

Get off these young niggas dicks, that whole GBE movement is terrible. Putting them before project mayheim is disrespectful. FSD dont know shit.

23. T.G says:

this is the worst list i have ever seen in my life. FAKESHOREDRIVE is a site where if you ain’t “popular” your not getting on it. Chicago needs a site that caters to everybody that raps in CHICAGO, not just the ones they life…ITS ABOUT THE PPL…

Where is Bo Deal, Co-Still, City Savage, Critikal, so on and so on mixtape at..this is garbage.

24. SO CHI says:

S/O TO THE HOMIE CLARKAIRLINES…PROJECT WAS SOLID AND ORIGINAL…BREATHE OF FRESH AIR…

25. Real says:

#PENELOPE 2012. July29th. Coming Soon.

26. eastsidecrazzzz says:

SHORTY K STAKS FIFTH AVE MIXTAPE SHOULD DEF BE ON HERE WTF!!!!!!!!!

27. DEEZ MIXTAPES DECENT BUT U ARE LEAVING OUT A UPCOMING CHICAGO RAPPER BY THE NAME “YOUNG EXCLUS!VE” HERE IS HIS MIXTAPE LINK > http://www.datpiff.com/YOUNG-EXCLUSVE-Best-Kid-Rapper-Alive-The-Mixtape.355999.html

28. scrillbush says:

is it just me or none of these mixtapes circulating through the chi and like 7 of em neva heard of

29. uhhh says:

horrible list. how about you guys post actual music worth listening to

Add-2?
    Grumpy Old Men?
    Kids With Raps?
    Cathedral?

30. Schedule_One says:

This is a blog. Drew, Ty & the rest of the FSD staff can post whatever they want, and they do. FSD is now an actual business. If they posted all the wack shit that hits their inbox, no one would visit. No more business. If they aren’t feeling your music, chill with the thirst and take another route. No one should rely solely on FSD to launch their careers.

31. @ajonra says:

Back from the dead shouldve been #1 with King Louie’s Motion Picture a close second. Then Lil Durk’s joint. None of the mixtapes on the list have garnered succes remotely close to “Back from the Dead”. This shouldnt been name “The Best Mixtapes in Chicago in 2012″ so we know this is based on the opinion of FSD and not blatant facts.

32. @ajonra says:

This Should’ve* been named…

33. ROL P says:

No King Louie???? wtf. yall lame.

34. Team GMR says:

GBOY MostRequested : Yall Ready?

35. al capone says:

shorty k dropped 2 mix tapes that was running rings around all top 10 mentioned and the scary part he just killing niggas on they on style he hasn’t even started rapping yet. FSD needs to reevaluate give that lil nigga his ups

36. G says:

FSD is funny..definitely caters to their favorites…but to each his own…the whole game is watered down….you don’t have to even have talent to get attention..i won’t drop any names though, i’ll be nice…s/o 2 my homie Paypa from the west side, making moves, and he can “actually rap” ….no GLC, no Bo Deal, no King Louie, no L.E.P.?? SMH

37. Siri says:

Damn. Y’all on nat wit spenzo shit.

38. D.Scott says:

I gotta check some of these artists out.

39. GOOD Music says:

No TreStyle “Dark Days Bright Nights” alrighty…

40. lilmoe says:

fuckglobal bitch ima street boss………#money on the dresser

41. D.Scott says:

Gotta check some of these out

42. Yinka says:

Where’s Retrospect?!?

43. nuke says:

durk is rightfully number 1 i agree with that,but ebone hoodrich put out an classic with trus and tattoo he should be somewhere in the top 3.

44. Man all I know is Lil Reese and Rockie Fresh’s shit bumped and got hella play over here

45. DJ Gucci "The King Of The Underground" says:

Heres A http://hu.lk/djgucci13 Link To The Hottest Mixcd In Chicago Rite Now Chiraq Pt.2